Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Just Go!


The hardest part about traveling is the actual traveling part. Its easy to plan, to look up where you want to go and even research prices. But when it comes to actually deciding to quit your job, take a semester off from school, or missing the NBA playoffs – it suddenly gets hard to go.

My whole purpose for this post is to get you off your lazy ass and go! Stop worrying about what will happen, make a simple plan and then make the decision to go. 

The first time I really experienced another culture was from 2005 to 2007. I was 19 years old and decided to be a missionary in Taiwan. I didn’t speak Chinese, I knew nothing about Taiwanese culture, and I hated seafood, but for some reason it seemed like a good idea.

The two years there cost me $10,000 total. I gave up a high paying job (I was about to be promoted to an account manager making around $100,000 a year), I left my friends and family, and just went.

Taiwan wasn’t what I expected it to be… it was MUCH better! The food was amazing, the people the kindest in the world, and the weather beautiful. It took me about a year to feel really comfortable with the language, but by the end I was fluent in Mandarin. Some of the food was weird (below is a list of the food I ate), but hardly impossible to eat. And possibly the best part was how kind the people were there. Maybe it was because I looked different from everyone, but I was treated like a celebrity. Everyone wanted to talk to me and learn more about my culture. The only exception being the children… when you are 6’5” they tend to think you are a monster.

Back to my point. When I returned home, I went to college and passed off all the beginning and intermediate mandarin classes – it took me only 2 years to complete a major in Chinese (and you know how much tuition costs nowadays…). During that time I had government scholarships because of my experience in Chinese, I received job offers working as a consultant for new companies working with China and of course, used my new found Chinese food making experience to score a couple of hot dates.

That two-year experience completely changed my life. It wasn’t easy saving the money or giving up a good job and my time. BUT, so many more opportunities have opened up for me.

So again, stop making excuses. Your life will be enhanced in ways you don’t understand right now if you are willing to go out there and travel like you have always dreamed.

Weird foods from Taiwan:
Fish Eyes
Solidified Pig Blood Blocks
Octopus Testicles
Dried fish snacks

0 comments: